Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hopeful Parenting

The last few weeks have really been a challenge with our two year old. She is constantly testing the boundaries and stepping past them. A few times in the last week I haven't wanted to even get her out of bed in the morning or after her nap because I've been dreading the certain confrontations that will take place. As I thinking that one day, the Lord reminded me that it was my job to correct her, and that I shouldn't be trying to avoid it. Instead I should view these difficult training sessions as opportunity to appreciate God's work in my own sinful heart and to demonstrate my faith that God will work in her heart.

I'm clinging to this verse, "Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary." Galatians 6:9 Sometimes I wake up in the morning and think, "I'm so weary. I feel like I've already been through a full day. How am I ever going to deal with my kids today?" Then I'm reminded- Valerie, do not lose heart in doing good...

Here are a couple wonderful resources that have helped me lately, especially in knowing how to deal with our two year old.

Shepherding a Child's Heart by Ted Tripp,

and these online audio parent training sessions by Kenneth Maresco.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for that great verse. It applies so well to mothers. I can totally relate to everything you said about weariness! God is so faithful, and Lael is going to display His glory. She has great parents and God who really loves her! I can't wait to devour those messages!!!! XO

Anonymous said...

Also, we saw this video series that was *excellent*, Val. You and Dennis might pray about asking your church to invest in this series to show parents in your church/city. www.shepherdpress.com/a_case_for_kids_vs.htm