Friday, October 31, 2008

Valerie's Kitchen Grade: D -


You know that little folk song that says,
Can she make a cherry pie,
Billy Boy, Billy Boy?
Can she make a cherry pie, Charming Billy?
She can make a cherry pie,
Quick as a cat can wink an eye,
She's a young thing
And cannot leave her mother.

Well, if my eligibility had been based on my pie making skills, I don't think I'd be married.
Tonight we are having some friends over to eat dinner with us and play some games. My friend always makes wonderful desserts when we get together, so this time I thought I'd make a pie.
Now, I've never claimed to be a pie expert. In fact, the first Thanksgiving that Dennis and I were married I wanted to make a pie to take to his parents' place and ended up throwing out a few crusts because they got so tough as I rolled and rolled, re-rolled and re-rolled. It became like glue. Several hours of frustration later I had an ugly apple pie to take with us.
Fast forward six years. There have been a couple of improvements. I no longer have to throw away pie dough. But my pies are never pretty.
Today I was making a peach pie. I took the frozen peaces from the freezer and mixed up the pie crust. Squeaky stood on the chair beside me, hanging on my every word and asking questions. When I got the bottom crust all rolled out I realized I hadn't thawed the peaches yet. So I threw them in a pot and started boiling that brick of peaches down.
I rolled out the top crust while I was waiting.
Then I realized that I had way too much juice in that pot. So I stuck a strainer on top of a bowl and started pouring the juice out of the pot. Suddenly the bowl slipped and everything went everywhere, all over the top crust that was rolled out on the counter. It ended up slipping and leaking about four more times until I told Squeaky that the lesson was over and tried frantically to salvage my pie.
Squeaky said, "Mommy, you're not very good at that."
I wrote, "OOPS" on top of the pie before baking it.

7 comments:

Sabrina said...

'A'
for effort!
I gave up long ago trying to bake wonderful flaky pie crusts. Instead we now use either store flaky pie crusts or the fail proof cream cheese crusts:)
I am humbled by your valiant attempt!

Anonymous said...

I was singing that song to Bai just the other day... : ) I love Squeaky's face... : ) So cute. Well, the finished product sure looks great to me! The older I get, the WORSE I get at baking. Not a very detailed cook at the present. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing... good to know I'm not alone. We still often remember a Thanksgiving pie I had to make in Guinea. My pies are generally not pretty to begin with, but with the difference in humidity there I was really having trouble. Needless to say, things got tense and frustrating and I ended up not rolling the dough out, but just pressing it together. That was after I got past the point of wanting to throw the dough across the room =)

Anonymous said...

This fall I tried a recipe in the Five Roses Cook Book where you just put it all in the bowl and mix with the mixer and it turns out better than any of the ones where you are careful not to handle too much!!
and it is fast ...now it is not really flaky either but it rolls out thin and passes the eating test!!
Love
Gramma

Jean said...

Peach pie - yummmmmmm.

Most of the time I just give up and don't even start making pie - I prefer to make crunch according to the standard Ferris tradition and everyone likes it just as much as pie - benefit not quite so many calories.

My kids have been excited about fresh peach crunch lately but alas the fresh peaches are no where to be found now.

David and Amy Campsall said...

Valerie, You're too funny. At least you can see some humor in it all. I'm glad to hear the children are over their sickness too. How's the language stuff coming along these days? We are pulling out of here Lord willing on Sunday. Packing is pretty well the even of everyday. We can only take what will fit in the back of the pickup truck and we are renting a 5x8 uhaul. Dave just pulled stuff out of the attic last night... woah.. haha.. i had so many clothes up there from chloe when she was younger. I'm sure dave took like 5 bags to the goodwill today. Amazing what we keep for who knows what reason:) So do you know anything about when you leave Canada or where you are going yet? Ok. Praying that as you reach out to others he will bless your every effort for His name's sake!
Love Amy

Kate said...

I no longer attempt homemade - I buy the refrigerated pie crusts. Aah. The flaky goodness of Pillsbury! :) Your pie looks delicious! mmm...pie...