Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Oh, be careful little tongue what you say...

For the past year I've happily been calling this



a 'plastik' which is just a Tagalog-ized English word, obviously.  It seems to be the most common term used here.  So, surely you can sense my excitement at discovering after another full year here that there is a real Tagalog word for it after all!  I stumbled upon it during one of my language helping sessions.  I happily started trying it out in a few difference contexts so that it would become part of my vocabulary.

Imagine my surprise when someone quietly told me that I should probably be careful- if the wrong syllable is stressed the word actually means "uncercomsized mail."*

I apologize to my sensitive readers but honestly, what a funny mistake!

*words intentionally misspelled so as not to attract unwanted traffic to my blog.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Matt did the same mistake. Except he found out AFTER he'd been using it wrong for quite some time!

Dennis and Valerie said...

Ha, ha! Oh no!!!

The Mom said...

This is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Thanks for sharing Val!

laughwithusblog said...

lol Too funny!