Saturday, April 14, 2012

L is for Limits

Today was Winnie's fifth birthday.  Squeaky and Winnie have birthdays 5 days apart and they both wanted to go to Kiddie Land to celebrate.  Kiddie Land is a play place in a mall that we discovered not too far from our house.

First we went out for lunch at Jollibee (Winnie's choice) where we all had chicken and rice.  Jollibee is a local favorite and even more common than McDonalds here.
The Birthday Girl!
Squeaky is our oldest, on the left

After lunch we walked down to the mall where this particular play place is that they so badly wanted to visit.  When we got there the lady behind the counter told Squeaky that she exceeded the height limit for the play area.  That was the first time we've been turned away from anything due to exceeding a height limit and I'm sure my feelings were written all over my face as I encouraged Squeaky to take off her shoes and stand by the sign again.  Sure enough, the top of her head was a good 2 inches above the limit.

It broke my heart to tell her she couldn't go in and play in the place she had been wanting to go to for her birthday. I was shocked at how easily I started wishing that they would bend the rules for us.  I actually got a little huffy inside about it.  Dennis just said, "It's ok.  I'll take her to do some other fun things."  And he did, while I grumpily accompanied the other two into Kiddie Land.
We can still fit the three of them in a little car!
Eventually I came around.  I realized that I shouldn't expect any special treatment and that it was a good thing they honored their sign.  If they didn't and allowed all sorts of bigger kids in there it wouldn't be nearly as fun for the ones it really is intended for.  So, it just so happened that my little girl grew a couple of inches since we last visited there and now is above the limit.  That's ok.  I'll get over it.  She did.

7 comments:

MynameisEarl said...

Indeed Jollibee is a local favourite. One time when I was in LA visiting my cousins, while driving I saw a large sign where you slide letters onto it for a McDonald's. And on the sign was one of the funniest things I saw, bar none.

It said: "MCDONALD'S NUMBER 1 IN THE WORLD EXCEPT IN THE PHILIPPINES WHERE WE CAN'T BEAT THAT BIG FAT STUPID HAPPY BEE".

Excuse the language but that's what it said, very lol-worthy.

Anyway, hope your kids had a wonderful birthday more than the post makes it out to be. And don't worry about things like that again, sure you're a mum but sometimes nobody can just have it their way.

Cheers!

Jean said...

Your little girl is growing up. Next time it will be something she can do that the other two or three aren't big enough for yet. Looks loke you all had a fun day anyway.

Dennis and Valerie said...

MynameisEarl- that is SOOO hilarious!!! Are there a lot of Filipinos in that part of LA? Did you get a picture?! That made my husband and I laugh!

And yes, I really should clarify that we did have a fun day after all, especially after I got over my little huff. :D It's all good- we've been very blessed. :)

Unknown said...

oh really? you really saw that sign in LA? because what i know is i saw that sign on the net and you would think it's true,a funny picture of McDonald's photoshopped by someone. you haven't replied yet to other comments and i assumed you're just making it up! prove it if im wrong. =)

Unknown said...

oh really? you really saw that sign in LA? because what i know is i saw that sign on the net and you would think it's true,a funny picture of McDonald's photoshopped by someone. you haven't replied yet to other comments and i assumed you're just making it up! prove it if im wrong. =)

Unknown said...

oh really? you really saw that sign in LA? because what i know is i saw that sign on the net and you would think it's true,a funny picture of McDonald's photoshopped by someone. you haven't replied yet to other comments and i assumed you're just making it up! prove it if im wrong. =)
i also assumed you wont approve this comment and if i don't see this,,proven guilty.hehe

Unknown said...

oh really? you really saw that sign in LA? because what i know is i saw that sign on the net and you would think it's true,a funny picture of McDonald's photoshopped by someone. you haven't replied yet to other comments and i assumed you're just making it up! prove it if im wrong. =)
i also assumed you wont approve this comment and if i don't see this,,proven guilty.hehe