Friday, March 03, 2006

Thinking about the Poor

Lately I've been repeatedly reminded of this verse:
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27


Lots of people in the New Testament were commended for their work with the poor. Tabitha in Acts 9, Cornelius in Acts 10, and Paul in Acts 24 are all examples of people who gave their time and money to minister to the poor.

Jesus instructed His followers to sell their possessions and give to the poor... "for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also (Luke 12:33-34)." First Corinthians 13 reminds us that if we give all we possess to the poor but don't have love then it is not profitable for anything.

Questions I'm asking myself as a result of these thoughts:
1) Do I love the poor?
2) Do I give to the poor?
3) Who really are the poor?
4) How do I balance this desire to have pure and faultless religion by ministering to the poor and my God-given role and a wife and mother?
5) What steps do I need to take to do what the Bible says?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post, Val. But I have another question...which makes me feel like I'm not caring about the poor...but I grew up poor. Anyway, you said that you like Ted Danson's Gulliver's Travels. Do you have that? I *really* like it, too. I've never seen it in a store or anything.

Dennis and Valerie said...

We do have it. We found it at a second hand video store here. You can borrow it sometime, if you want.