Saturday, June 22, 2013


So, the last time we sent out a ministry related email update (if you don’t get it and want to, email us at we tried to outline what the next few months or so were going to look like as we prepared to move into the Ga’dang village.  

Originally we had thought we’d be in Manila for only a month and then would make our way to the village via helicopter.  Dennis would be taking several trips in June to prepare our little borrowed two bedroom house and arrange to get some of our belongings to be brought in while the road to the village is still passable (aka, not muddy).

We’ve been learning the importance of holding our plans with open hands.  Proverbs 16:9 reminds us, “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.”  About two weeks after we arrived in Manila we were told that our mission pilot found a major engine repair that needs to be done on the helicopter that we were planning to use to fly in and out of the village.  The helicopter will be down for approximately 2-3 months for these repairs. 

The only way to get into the village right now is to fly 1 hour from Manila to a city up north.  From there it is another hour to a small town and yet another hour down a very windy, mountainous, partially paved road to “The Waiting Shed,” a little shelter built in the corner of a cornfield that marks the trailhead going into the village where we are going.  From there it is a 10 km hike up and down several large hills to reach the village.  The trail is often washed out and muddy- impassable by vehicles for most of the year.

What does this mean for us?  Dennis has still been able to go in and out of the village twice this past month using this method.  He and our co-worker, Chuck, were also able to get quite a few supplies and some of our larger household goods most of the way in on a truck before the rains came.  They were able to get started on some of the house repairs and other projects that needed to happen before our families move back in, and plan to make more trips in the future.

Although we hiked in to the village as a family back in 2010, we’ve decided that we will not be doing so again in the next few months.  We are expecting a baby to join our family in October and will be waiting mainly in Manila for his or her arrival.  (Can you imagine the shock waves in our home if this baby is a boy!?)

Dennis and his princesses.  Will there be a prince in the future?

All of this has thrown us back on trusting the Lord’s timing and direction.  It is interesting to note that the helicopter situation was not known until after we got here, further verifying to us that for some reason the Lord is giving us several months to slow down and wait.  Please be praying with us that this time would be useful and that the Lord would use it to grow us up in Him as we prepare for what He has in store for us.


Anonymous said...

They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations guys, we are so happy for you! You are in our prayers as you continue to adjust back.

Josh, Lori and family