Friday, December 14, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad!


I run the risk of being a copy cat by doing this blog entry, but my sister-in-law had a wonderful idea, and I want to do it too.


Happy Birthday, Dad!

My Dad is turning 59 today! I wish I were there to celebrate. When I was younger, we traditionally celebrated my dad's birthday with a candle party. We'd go around the house and find all the candles we could. Then we'd put them all on the dining room table and light them. The idea was to sing a song for each candle on the table and blow them out, one by one until all the candles were out. The last candle to be blown out was always Dad's special candle that was in the shape of a cute polka-dotted toadstool. The song that we sang for that candle was always Jesus Bids Us Shine.

Here are the words:

Jesus bids us shine with a clear, pure light, Like a little candle burning in the night; In this world of darkness, we must shine,You in your small corner, and I in mine.


Jesus bids us shine, first of all for Him; Well He sees and knows it if our light is dim; He looks down from heaven, sees us shine,You in your small corner, and I in mine.


Jesus bids us shine, then, for all around, Many kinds of darkness in this world abound: Sin, and want, and sorrow—we must shine,You in your small corner, and I in mine.


My Dad is a godly, discerning man who gave me a wonderful example of a life lived loving the Lord, his wife and his children. I love you, Dad, and may God continue to encourage and strengthen you! I'm so grateful that He's given you 59 years- 28 of which you've had the privilege of knowing me! Oh, whoops. :) Couldn't resist that opportunity.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to read what you and Des have to write- in fact it brought tears to my eyes. Aren't some dad's just great!!
B

Jean said...

Our heavenly Father is so great to give such a godly earthly Father to you. Praise the Lord.

The picture is quit good.

Love, A. Jean

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mr. VE
from Patti