Friday, February 08, 2008

Lots to Catch Up On

Hello! I wish there were some fast and easy way to catch up on this blog. Fast, because in life I feel the constant pressure to move on to the next task (being task-oriented does that) and easy, because I'm simply too tired and lazy to put much energy into anything. :)

Well, to sum up. This past week has brought us a few beautiful melty days and then another giant dumpload of snow. The girls have been fairly healthy for the past four days so Dennis and I've managed to be together in class each day this week! That's exciting, and unusual. :)

Squeaky has been working on some of her preschool material (numbers and letters) in our spare time and is wanting to learn faster than I can teach her. I've been casually looking into some preschool type cirriculum since she's shown such an interest. She is loving her craft time at childcare and is pretty disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Earlier this week Squeaky was running around the living room opening her mouth widely and shutting it again over and over. "Mommy," she says in between mouths, "I'm a whale. You be Jonah. I'm going to EAT you!!!" Her mouth snaps shut just shy of my cheek. Large arm motions accompany this whale imitation. I get the mental image of a plump whale swimming around me. "Mummm, Mummm!" she says enthusiastically, pretending to eat my head. A few more swooping circuits of the room, and she is next to Dennis, who is sitting on the couch holding Winnie on his knees. "Mumm mumm, Daddy, I'm a WHALE!" I watch as she opens her mouth wide, but instead of snapping it shut I am surprised to witness the whale's blow-hole, complete with water spraying out. All over the side of Dennis' face. He just looked at me in shock with "water" dripping down over his eyebrow. "Do I look wet to you? Because I feel wet."

Button is talking a lot and the increased communication is really helping us to understand her. For example: she'll be wailing away at the top of her lungs. If I want to interject a comment or correction it must be done during the intake of breath.

Button: "Waaaaaa.. gasp..... Waaa waaaaa... gasp (parental comment interjected here)..."

Me: "What's wrong?"

Button: "Waaaaaaaa....gasp....waaaaa....cryyyyyying."

Me: "Why are you crying?"

Button: "Waaaaaa waaaaaaaaa... because I'm sad!"

Me: "What should we do about this?"

Button: "Waaaaaaaa... gasp... go to stairs!!!"

We have used a tactic with the older girls where if they are crying needlessly they must go sit on the stairs until they have a better attitude. They aren't allowed back at the dinner table until their outlook has improved and they are willing to eat happily (why do these things always happen at the dinner table?). So Button will request to go to the stairs of her own volition. The other night was classic. She was having a little episode. After declaring that she wanted to go to the stairs, we let her out of her seat and she pattered down the hall. Everything was quiet while she made her way to the steps. Pretty soon we heard several long wails and some loud sniffing. Then everything became quiet again. A few moments later we heard a small, contented voice saying perkily, "Happy now!" She came back to the table with a bounce in her step and a twinkle in her eye. "Happy now, Mommy! Happy now, Daddy!"


Winnie is doing well too. Her words now include, "Hi" (upon entering a room) and "Hi Dada", usually used when Mama is entering a room. Also "Uh-oh", to be used whenever something falls, accidentally or otherwise. She crawls all over the place and just recently ventured into the kitchen for the first time.

Sometime I'd really like to talk about what we're learning in our classes, but since this is already so long I'll wait for another post.

The girls were singing some original compositions in these two videos.

9 comments:

Glidewell Family said...

So much to say first Hi! from the Glidewells! We have enjoyed your blogs and your girls are very cute. You mentioned preschool curriculum. Rod & Staff has a great preschool C. and its cheep. It's called Preschool ABC series has 6 workbooks for $14.95 and an extra $5.75 if you want the children's Bible that goes along with the Bible coloring book. My girls loved it. We did two pages a day and one Bible story coloring page a week and it gets you thru the school year. It is a mennonite C. But I have not noticed wrong doctrine. If you have any questions please feel free to email me my address is on our blog.

Glidewell Family said...

Hello it's me again I ran out of room. Your girls crying and adjusting their attitude story is very cute. Ace call's them SEB's Spontanious Emmotional Breakdowns crying for no apparent reasons. This is what our girls do best. Our oldest has one of these about once a week at bed time. UGH!
Well that's all. Happy first year studenting!

Anonymous said...

We all appreciate the time you put into posting these stories. I laughed soooo much while reading all these stories, what hilarious children you have :)
B

Jeff AND DeAnna said...

Cute and precious!

Glad to hear the girls are doing better. Hopefully we will see them tomorrow in Toddlers!

-ddm

Pat VE said...

Lael doing her Valentines, reminds me that I should get at mine. I could get them done this weekend and they might arrive on time, except maybe to Durham.
A's self-imposed attitude adjustment is funny, but shows she's processing the idea of self discipline. Q. Just give them huge hugs from Gr, and Gr. It is warm here today. Love you all, Mom

Jean said...

I seem to be a day late reading your post. None the less I really enjoyed it. Your composers and sngers are doing fantastic - It looks a bit like S. has to stop and thnk aboutwhat she wants to sing whereas B. just lets the words bubble out whether there is any reason to them or not. All so very cute. That is a very different pose for W.

I think you Ontarians are getting most of the snow this winter. We have had plenty of cold but only small amounts of snow. There is a prediction for a "blizzard" for tonight but the amount of snow they are talking about will hardly be enough to shovel - the whole problem is the high wind and the white out. A little snow can do a lot of white out on the flat prairie.

Love, A, Jean

Jean said...

I seem to be a day late reading your post. None the less I really enjoyed it. Your composers and sngers are doing fantastic - It looks a bit like S. has to stop and thnk aboutwhat she wants to sing whereas B. just lets the words bubble out whether there is any reason to them or not. All so very cute. That is a very different pose for W.

I think you Ontarians are getting most of the snow this winter. We have had plenty of cold but only small amounts of snow. There is a prediction for a "blizzard" for tonight but the amount of snow they are talking about will hardly be enough to shovel - the whole problem is the high wind and the white out. A little snow can do a lot of white out on the flat prairie.

Love, A, Jean

Anonymous said...

I know your classes are important but personally I prefer to hear about the children, their antics and how you two are coping. So my two cents worth is that you are doing great with the blog. Love the videos:)
Sandy Aldom

Kate said...

Your girls are adorable! And funny to boot! Thanks for some great stories.